Today, we started work on the waterfall project. I know this picture does not do justice to the actual scene, but it’ll give you an idea of what we’re doing. That stack of boulders is about 15 to 16 feet high. There is nearly 6 semi truck loads of boulders there. Many of which can not be seen because they are underneath and behind, adding to the basic support of the whole thing.
We spent the day dealing with the top three tiers, adjusting them carefully so the water would cascade off the front without a problem. When the boulders were placed, no thought was given to the “flow” of water. The top few tiers, ended up being tilted toward the rear of the stack. This would have caused a problem, due to the fact that water will not flow uphill. We had to get behind them, and carefully jack them up and shim them with smaller rocks to get the tilt going toward the pond instead of away from it. It was a little precarious a few times. Using a 12 ton and 20 ton bottle jack, and cribbing to support them, we managed to get it done. It only took about 4 hours, so it wasn't all that bad.
Tomorrow, we start setting the piping that will deliver water from a series of three pumps that will be hidden behind the stack of boulders. Each pump will draw water from the stock tank, and deliver 115 gallons per minute to the rocks, at varying levels. That's going to be a total of 345 gallons per minute, that will will be cascading off this impressive stack of boulders. I can’t wait until everything is done, and I get to see for myself just how it’s going to look.
Quote of the Day:
If you think nobody cares if you are alive, try missing a couple of car payments.