Saturday, August 21, 2010

Finally, Comment Freedom

sun and fenc003

Image by zander x via Flickr

Blogger has finally introduced some spam filtering in the comments section of blogs.  I can now turn off the comment moderation on my blogs, with reasonable faith that those damn spammers won’t splatter their link filled erroneous comments on my sites.  It was a source of some bitterness that I had to start moderating my comments. 

I got so tired of seeing those comments with the links to questionable dating sites in the orient popping up on my blog.   The worst part was they never seemed to learn, I would remove them, and boom they were right back the next day.   I can’t tell you how frustrating it was that it became more of a chore to monitor the comments, than it was to keep the blogs going. 

After Blogger started the new filtering system, I waited for a little while to see how well it did.  I’m pretty impressed so far, it has caught all but one, trapping nearly 50 spam comments in the filtering system.  So from now on those two blogs, Chihuatude and Ruminations of a Small Town Mountain Boy, will no longer have moderated comments.

Now if Blogger can just come up with a reply to individual comments like so many other systems available, I’ll be a happy camper.  That’s why I liked Echo so much, but then I started getting duplicated comments on some of my blogs.  It became a annoying to have an inbox full of comments from months back, almost two months worth every day.   So I decided to remove that system, and stick with Bloggers, hoping that eventually they would catch up with everyone else.

Quote of the Day:
If you’re looking for friends when you need them…it’s too late.
--Mark Twain

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Side Notes. Design by Pocket