Friday, March 12, 2010

Silent Surfing, AKA The Ninja Blog Stalk

A surfer performing a gash, or very sharp turn...
Image via Wikipedia


I’ve been doing quite a lot of “silent surfing” lately.  (No, not the real form of surfing, that involves water, waves, a board, and the prerequisite of balance… something I daresay I don’t have an abundance of.)  I love looking at new blogs, and reading material from sites I have never been to before.  I call it my ninja blog stalk.  (I know there’s a techno geek name for it, but I’ll be dammed if I can remember it right now.)  I loiter on sites, reading posts and checking their blog lists, searching for fun, interesting content.  I don’t leave any comments, just make note of a new site I like by adding it to my Google reader, or perhaps even adding it to my blog list on Ruminations. 

I’ve discovered an interesting benefit to this tactic.  There is an abundance of inspiration out there on the web.  Having the time to find it all is the problem.  By being my sneaky little self, I can find far more sites, and glean valuable ideas from them.  Not to mention the fact that every once in a while you actually learn something.  Most of all I simply enjoy reading just about anything and everything as long as it’s creative and well written.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking about grammar, and all those “proper” uses of syntax and , Blahh Blahh, English stuff.   (I’m lucky to have made it through my English classes without a serious neck injury from the “boredom head bob syndrome”.)   I’ve learned, not to criticize others for what I obvious have seroious difficulty with.   I’m talking about works that are easy to follow, fun, and written with an obvious passion or style.   

I suppose what it’s all leading up to is, I’m trying to decide if I want to resurrect the Monday’s Writers of the Web series on ruminations.  I’m not sure how I’ll approach it if I do, and exactly what format it’ll take.  I know that If I choose to bring it back, I want to do so with class, style, and lots of fun. 

My concern is being able to improve and maintain my writing.  I would love to be able to create content that exudes the passion I find on other sites.  The hard part, as I see it, is maintaining that level.  I know that far too many of my posts have not exactly been exemplary, especially in my own eyes.  I also recognize that there has been frequent improvements in my writing from time to time.  Still there are those times, more often than I care to think about, when my writing has… well… SUCKED!  I fervently hope to put an end to that, and studiously work at improving myself.   The question is, just how the hell I’m going to manage that, and force it to the forefront of my thoughts.

I think one of my faults is also one of my strengths, at least as I see it.  I love to write descriptively!  I search for words and phrases that drip with a colorful descriptive  essence.  The problem is I see it as coming off kind of pretentious sometimes.  I have learned to loath repeating words or phrases in my writing.  A really hard thing to avoid sometimes, thank goodness for the Thesaurus.   I’m going to have to focus a considerable effort at not sounding like a stuck up, snobby dope.
Quote of the Day:
If misery loves company, misery has company enough.
--Henry David Thoreau

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Side Notes. Design by Pocket