Monday, August 31, 2009

It’s Been a Banner Evening

Yale - Where the Gold Rush streamers used to c...

Image by janusz l via Flickr

I’ve been working on the template for the new site, you know the fiction one I won’t tell you about.  I wasn’t happy with the banner at all, so I set out on a graphics search.  I finally found something pretty interesting, but still not quite right. 

What is one to do when the family artistic talent is on the other side of the world?  Simple, go online and play around with the image manipulation sites.  There are a lot of them.  I found that each one seems to offer different treatments and abilities.  None of them will do everything!  When you can’t afford to buy a fancy program for tweaking pictures, you make do with what is available. 

I would spend an hour or so on one site doing a few things to the picture.  Then download the darn thing and jump over to another site.  Upload the modified picture, and tweak a few different things that weren’t available on the first site.  Save and download the now nearly perfect image, and upload it to yet another site.  Thank the digital gods for high-peed internet.

All I had to do then was to get the masterpiece loaded into my template, and set just right.  Using HTML, this entails playing around with the padding and margin pixels.  Set a few numbers, preview the template, tweak the numbers, preview once again.  A fairly repetitive process, but one that works well.  If all goes according to plan you’ll all get to see the finished product some time in the next few weeks. 

If I’m lucky, I won’t get the two site templates I’m working on mixed up and loaded to the wrong place.  The only question now is… Is this new site, reality or a figment of my imagination?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Side Notes. Design by Pocket