Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Almost Beat by A Rock

Rock workers using a jackhammer in drilling at...

Image by Oregon State University Archives via Flickr

One of the things I remember, not fondly, about home, is the abundance of rocks.  If  You were digging a fence post hole, it ended up being about two foot in diameter because of all the rocks that had to be pried out with a rock bar.  Well as the saying goes, everything is bigger in Texas.  Let me tell you, they ain’t just a kidding!

I spent the last two days trying to dig a hole 4 foot round, and 5 foot deep.  Total time spent digging was around 14 hours.  Total time using a shovel, maybe one hour.  How does one dig without a shovel?  Well if your in Possum Kingdom Texas, you use a jack hammer.

I knew I was in trouble when I tried to stick the shovel in the dirt, and received a resounding CLANG.  Hell I hadn’t even started digging yet!  After two days, I had rock dust in my ears, nose, and places best not mentioned.  When we got to camp last night, I barely had enough gumption to cook dinner.  Then I went straight to bed, slept the whole night through.  And back at it today.

Needless to say I’m tired, worn, not sure what hurts more, and hell I don’t know!

Enhanced by Zemanta

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Side Notes. Design by Pocket